Saturday, November 10, 2012

I must laugh so I don't get too sad

What a difference a day makes. I was feeling lighted hearted when I wrote my previous dog post, but things have certainly changed, haven't they? Buster bit Maggie last night and she had to get some stitches and we had to say goodbye to our dog of five and half years.

He really was a sweet dog. Yes, he ran away once or twice or hundred times and even got hit head on by a car once, but he survived and we took it as proof that he was Wonder Dog. We believed he would live for a  long time and that he would be with us for at least ten more years. I loved walking with him. He kept up with me and could walk forever. He would look up at me every once in awhile like, yep, me and you are pretty kick ass with our walking pace, aren't we? He would lay next to my side of the bed every night and any time I put my sneakers on he assumed I was taking him with me and if I happened not to, I would feel guilty. Did I spend some serious time complaining about how many times he ran away or the mess he would make with the garbage? Of course, but that was because I just figured he would be around forever and now that he isn't, I'm a bit sad.

Lines have been drawn in the sand. We seem to have broken up into two camps over here. Here's a completely unbiased version of what's happening. On one side we have the Cold Hearted Bastards
(the CHB) who believe Buster should be put down. He bit a five year old, our five year old, and he needs to go away permanently. And on the other side we have what I'll simply refer to as the Angels of Light (the AOL). To maintain journalistic integrity I can't tell you which side I'm on. The AOL believe that although Buster did bite our favorite five year old, he is a dog and as such he has a pack mentality which kicked into gear last night. He was trying to be the leader. The Angels believe that if given to the right home where no children live, he could live out the rest of his dog life without bothering anyone, because never before has he been aggressive to Maggie.

The Bastards are implying that perhaps the Angels simply don't love Maggie enough if they want Buster to be kept alive, because yeah, it's not like any member of the AOL carried Maggie in her womb and breast fed her and spent the past five and half years taking care of her. Anyway, the AOL are quite upset that Buster bit Maggie, but they believe in second chances and even though they know he cannot come back here ever again, they want him to go somewhere he will be loved. It should be noted that the victim in all of this still loves Buster and was crushed when she was told ( by our chicken murdering neighbors) that he would not be returning.

One member of the Angels has taken a turn for the worse in regards to her feelings for Leo, because even though Leo wasn't involved in the incident and wasn't even the room when it happened, this particular person believes maybe Buster was just jealous Leo was brought into the family and biting Maggie was his way of acting that out. And she also consider herself extremely loyal so she just feels bad liking Leo too much now. A member of the opposing side wise cracked about how this kind of  twisted loyalty is exactly how Nazi Germany was so successful, I guess implying that this Angel would have made a great Nazi. The Angel had to remind the Bastard that given the chance, he would probably replace his love for his Angel (which is how she now wishes to be addressed by him) just as easily as he seems to have replaced his love for Buster and he would probably do so with a slender golden haired hussy just to match his new dog. It's all so hand to forehead frightening I can barely stand to think about it all!

On a more serious note, Miss Maggie is doing amazingly well. She was a trooper in the ER and didn't shed a single tear. She wowed the doctor and nurse with her vocabulary and speaking skills and at some point they found out she was homeschooled and mistakenly thought it was this fact that was giving Maggie her sophisticated edge. I decided to let them keep on believing that instead of telling them the truth, which is just that Maggie watches a lot of movies that were meant for bigger people ( please, nothing R rated, just things like Phantom of the Opera). She had such a smashing time at the ER and liked everyone there so much that the second she woke up today she asked if she could back again to visit, but first she had to go outside and show off her stitches. Later on this afternoon, after rehashing all of the previous day's events and Maggie's cuteness and good attitude throughout it all, we agreed that regardless of any feelings we had about Buster's fate, Maggie is a keeper.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Only you could have me LOLing about your dog biting your child...I hope the bastard calms down so the angel can keep her place.

deborah Macfarlane (sister of Ann Marie) said...

This is a great depiction of life on Cobble Lane and further proof you need to write a book!!!
I am going to pray to St. Francis for Buster.
Aren't there some priests that can take him?!
Or nuns?!

ann marie said...

ooooh Deb, that is not a bad idea!!!!! And our priests our Franciscan, so that's even better. Yes, please pray. It's not the same without him here, but if I knew he was happy somewhere else I would be fine with that.

Julie said...

I'm not sure what it is about me but as soon as there was some aluding to people having different opinions, I could hardly focus on the rest of the post because I was all..."hmmm Anthony I wonder what side he's on, hmmm what about Kate etc...". I love the priest idea, Fr Blase? So glad Maggie is ok!!

Anonymous said...

Unless Maggie bit Buster,there wasn't room for these two "beings" in the same household. And,I think dogs know more than they let on,so Buster should be interrogated by the local gendarmes before his fate is decided: a respectful retirement home, or hasta la vista.

ann marie said...

Julie, Anthony and Kate both want Buster to live :)

Terri said...

I thought of Fr. Blase too!

So sorry for Maggie. And for all of you.

Btw, an AOL just emailed another AOL about Buster.

deborah said...

we need to know how this buster thing is going...
you have your fans hungry for more!
oh I am worried for buster...