Sunday, January 2, 2011

hopes

In light of my previous post, in which I admitted I busied myself last year by getting into a fight with a fourteen year old girl, and leaving and then returning to the scene of a fender bender, it appears I may be ripe for some resolutions, but I'm not going to go that route because history has shown that resolutions don't work. Plus, to resolve to do something sounds difficult and implies a certain amount of hard work is involved. Instead I am going to have some New Year's hopes. The word hope is much sweeter sounding than resolve. If you hope for something you merely have to sit back and wait for it to happen and it will.

Here are some of my New Year's hopes. I hope to get back into shape. I hope to become more organized. I hope to think before speaking. I hope to keep my house clean on a regular basis. I hope to not lay in the sun, something I can barely resist doing when the weather turns warm, even though I know it is giving me wrinkles and moles and my doctor told me to stop doing it. I hope to take my contacts out every night before going to bed, and to remove my makeup at that time. I hope to stop speaking in excessively loud tones to my children, although that one went out the window already when one of my kids lolly gagged while getting ready this morning.

I do have some deeper hopes, but I feel weird putting them on here because they involve my faith and I find it increasingly more difficult to talk about my faith. I want to guard it with everything I have. I don't know what I am guarding it from - probably from neighbors who are trying to convince me my faith is not true. Nothing drives me further into my faith than when people do this, so I guess I am thankful for the recent annoyance. I'm pretty quiet about my beliefs and expect people to behave in kind. I'm surprised when that doesn't happen.

I hope to send a letter to David Sedaris begging him to come to central Florida for a speaking engagement. I guess our area is not deemed worthy of his presence, but I think I may be able to woo him with some of my lofty praise. I'm pretty charming when needed. Last week I was at the store and a friend who I haven't spoken to in some time was behind me at the deli. I'm not quite sure what happened to the friendship - most likely a lack of effort on my part. Things kind of just fizzled out and I could tell when I saw her that she was going to look down or pretend to get a phone call so as to avoid any discomfort, but I turned around and said " HI So and So, ( I called her by her name as I find this helps people feel better), how have you been?" And all was well again, due to my dazzling and irresistible personality. Right now you should be envisioning me smiling (with sparklingly teeth, of course) and the "ding" sound should be going off in your head. Please hope along with me that David Sedaris will come here.

I hope more people will leave comments on here. It makes writing more fun knowing people are reading. Terri and Julie, you are much appreciated!

6 comments:

Terri said...

I hope you keep writing.

I hope that you get more readers, but that Julie and I remain your faithful, biggest fans.

I hope to see David Sedaris when he gets here!

Kirsten said...

I always read your blog and it makes me laugh every time. I don't however always comment because I say " oh, I will go back" and never do. But do not stop writing please!!!
Who is this David dude?
Miss you!!

Tiffany said...

I have lots of hopes as well and you're right that sounds so much better than resolutions. You're so smart.
I also always read your blog and I'm a bigger fan than Julie or Terri, the difference is that I'm lazy and like Kirsten always plan to come back later and comment and then don't...

Cindy said...

I also read all the time but on my Google Reader and haven't clicked through in awhile so didn';t know your comments were on" again! anyway, I agree that "Hopes" sound better than "resolutions" and I have many of the same as you! Happy new Year!

Julie said...

Lots of competition in the comments section today!! As for your post... Love it as usual!!!

Cheryl said...

uh-oh... been out of the fan section for a long time I see...